~Kids Vocal~ Forum

News about kids singers from all the world !

AccueilAccueil  FAQFAQ  RechercherRechercher  S'enregistrerS'enregistrer  MembresMembres  GroupesGroupes  ConnexionConnexion  

Partagez | 

The American Juniors show. This is how it started for me.

Voir le sujet précédent Voir le sujet suivant Aller en bas 
AuteurMessage
girlsingerfan

Number of posts : 3048
Registration date : 16/02/2008

MessageSujet: The American Juniors show. This is how it started for me.   Sam 9 Aoû - 20:48

I don't know why it works this way sometime. Maria Isabel is many people's favorite, and yet we still need to start a thread on her. As I said before, I think it is because we figure everyone is quite familiar with her. Then there is the factor that we are moving on and discovering new things and we sometimes ignore that which is the most familiar or in this case for me, where it all started. Even though I had come across an occasional kids album in my life such as Kimberly Scott or Billy Gilman, and memories still lingered of Lena Zavaroni, my passion for it started when American Idol tried to have a Junior version in the summer of 2003. This was American Juniors, also hosted by Ryan Seacrest. The judges were a former young teen singer/songwriter, Deborah Gibson, and someone who I fell in love with when I was just a boy, Gladys Knight. Also Jordan Knight of New Kids on the Block was a judge.

Read the Wikipedia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Juniors

The show's format was the same as American Idol in that viewers called in their votes, but was different in that it did not try to make fun of weird/untalented tryouts and it did not vote kids off the show after they picked the top 10. Instead, the idea was to form a group of 5 kids that would record and tour, so they were voted into the group one at a time. I was living in Belize then and even though I watched this from the very beginning, in which they narrowed it down from 20 finalists to ten, and I taped it and watched it several times, it also drove me crazy and made me upset, because my favorite from the very beginning was Danielle White, and she did not make it into the group until the 5th and final spot, with her amazing rendition of Never Had a Dream Come True. This performance I must admit, got the tears going for me. It also greatly affected Ryan and the judges and they say so. It is still one of my top 5 favorite live versions from a Girl Singer. I think I will save that one for the end.

Even though the show did decent in the ratings, especially considering it was a summer show about two months long, I guess the producers were hoping for even more, because even though there was talk and consideration, they did not bring it back again. They also did not seem to really promote the group that much. They did the recordings, a Christmas t.v. show and several live appearances for maybe almost a year and then seemed to drift out on their own. None of them have had a major career, not even Danielle White, who has not done that much as a teen that I can find. Strange that the one who has done the most and best and who sounds great as a teen is one of the top 10 that did not make it into the group, Jordan McCoy. She did a professional recording of Big Girls Don't Cry and was told by Fergie's people that it would be her song to have some success, but then Fergie released it and had a hit just before Jordan did. Stalled her career I guess. I very much wanted her to make the group instead of Lucy Hale. Not because Jordan was a better singer though. Lucy had the strongest and most mature voice on the show. She was the top age for the show at 14. My reason is that Lucy did not blend into the kids group. She was more like a young adult, both in how she looked and how she sounded. I think Jordan would have been a better fit or even me the Girlsingerfan saying it would have been OK for A J Melendez to have made it also instead of Lucy, but at the time anyway, Lucy was the better singer, so I guess the voters were not thinking 'Group' as they voted.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jordan_McCoy
Also
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danielle_White
Lucy Hale took to acting after the group broke up.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucy_Hale

You can look up both cds released in 2003 on Amazon.com and other retail outlets. The first one was the American Juniors 10 finalists CD. Later, at the end of the year, the CD from the 5 who made the group was released. There is plenty of videos on youtube, so I think I will post one each of the 10 finalist and maybe a few of the ones who did not make it.

In no special order except my favorite Danielle White being first, here are the top ten finalists. Sometimes the sync on some of the videos is not great, but I can tell you, it was definately all live. I have the VHS tapes still.

Danielle White. Colors of the Wind.

Tori Thompson Let 'Er Rip

I will be back soon to do the rest.

Jordan McCoy I Love You More Today Than Yesterday

Chauncey Matthews Moon River Very good job considering he was just getting over being sick.

Lucy Hale Call Me

This is Tori's big sister. Taylor Thompson Proud Mary

A J Melendez I'll Be There

Katelyn Tarver Tell Him

Morgan Burke Why Do Fools Fall In Love

Chantel Kohl You Make Me So Very Happy I remember that her dad cried every show. What a softie he was as we say here in the U.S.

That was the top 10. I don't know if I picked the very best video for each, as there are a lot of performances, and I am picking them fairly quick.

Here are a few that were in the spots 11-20, but were not in the show after the first two weeks or so.

Lauren Klena LOVE She was just an OK singer, but so very cute.

Grace Leer To Sir With Love

Mercedes Ruiz Can't Fight The Moonlight She may have been my favorite of the ones who did not make it. What a little model she is.

Kristinia DeBarge Reflection

Canyon Grove You've Got a Friend

One more by my personal favorite before I go. This is the performance that got Danielle White into the group.
Never Had a Dream Come True

I will be back next time with group videos and other favorites. Comments or information or video additions are quite welcome.

Dernière édition par girlsingerfan le Mer 15 Sep - 21:12, édité 2 fois
Revenir en haut Aller en bas
http://youtube.com/user/girlsingerfan
Rakugaki
Admin

Number of posts : 2927

MessageSujet: Re: The American Juniors show. This is how it started for me.   Dim 10 Aoû - 8:04

I like American Juniors. The voices are good ! The problem is I can't really remember the 2 albums because it's covers only... That's not really original.
Why there was only one year of American Juniors ? Mad

Here is the 2 albums :

Number of posts : 597
Registration date : 29/04/2008

MessageSujet: Re: The American Juniors show. This is how it started for me.   Lun 11 Aoû - 6:03

Wow, i had absolutely no idea of "American juniors" existence! Shocked

This was a pretty cool show, too bad it's called off! Sad

Thanks girlsingerfan, that must really refresh some of your memories! Very Happy
moorvis

Number of posts : 623
Registration date : 14/03/2008

MessageSujet: Re: The American Juniors show. This is how it started for me.   Lun 11 Aoû - 16:00

I have kind of mixed feelings about AMerican Juniors. The whole show is too american style for my taste and I didn't really like most of the performers. But then there is Danielle White. She's amazing with her pure tones and great use of her beautiful voice. And her smile is charming. Smile She was at her best in ballads, of which my favorites were God Morning Starshine and Colors of the Wind.

I think she was forced to tour with the band and couldn't start a solo career, which is a shame. No Mad
girlsingerfan

MessageSujet: Re: The American Juniors show. This is how it started for me.   Mer 13 Aoû - 3:58

I know what you are trying to say Rakugaki about the CDs would have been more memorable if it had some original songs and not just covers. However, when you think about it, a good percentage of what we have posted here or watch on Youtube are covers. Actually, the producers of this show and the subsequent recordings are also the same people that produce the various S Clubs; 7 and 8 and Juniors, and that is why you here some of the same songs as them. I don't have so much time again. I will post a few group videos. I really enjoyed most of the ones they did together and everyone got a little solo or two.

Billy Joel's Still Rock and Roll To Me

Here is a group video made with some of the Juniors before they cut it down to 10.
Put a Little Love In Your Heart.

If they had an actual hit, this was it. From the 5 that made the group.
One Step Closer

Group song with the 5, but showing many clips from the whole series.
You've Got To Have Friends

Moorvis mentioned Danielle White's Good Morning Starshine. Since Danielle is my favorite, I will put a couple more of her.

Good Morning Starshine.

I myself like this one even more.
The Carpenter's Close To You

After the group was chosen, they had a show with them doing several songs, including judges Deborah Gibson and Gladys Knight joining on one each. The You've Got to Have Friends was from that show. Here is one more from that show.

I really like them together on this song. Nice song I think.
You Are the One

A few months later, it was Christmas time.
Perfect Christmas

moorvis

Number of posts : 623
Registration date : 14/03/2008

MessageSujet: Re: The American Juniors show. This is how it started for me.   Mer 13 Aoû - 6:11

Oh yes, Close to you is a good one too! I seem to have lost it from my archives.. Crying or Very sad
girlsingerfan

MessageSujet: Re: The American Juniors show. This is how it started for me.   Jeu 14 Aoû - 3:57

As you can tell, posting on this show was a big deal to me. Did anyone like any of the group videos? Anyway, I will just post a few more things and then let it go for now.

Even though Danielle White was my favorite singer on the show and I realized that Lucy Hale at 14, was the most 'professional' singer, my favorite PERFORMER was actually Jordan McCoy. It was also regarding her that I had my biggest heartbreak moment watching the show. Even though I was so much rooting for Danielle to make the group in the last spot(she should have gone in early), it made me so sad and I cried because they showed Jordan crying when she realized she lost her last chance. Here are a couple favorites from her.

Magic

Stupid Cupid
girlsingerfan

MessageSujet: Re: The American Juniors show. This is how it started for me.   Jeu 14 Aoû - 4:17

And to finish, how about a little what are they doing now or what were they doing a few years later anyway.
First, the just mentioned Jordan McCoy who did not make the group, is doing some nice music now.

You Can Talk

Embedding disabled on this one.
I Decide
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txkakMPCs4k

Taylor and Tori singing at home. Not little anymore!
The Wreckers Leave the Pieces

You have to put up with other stuff for a couple minutes and then Taylor and Tori sing. Not the greatest sound of a live stage performance, but it shows they can still really sing.
Sing It In A Song

Danielle White. Not a great piano player, but... I admire that she is trying to work some 'soul' into her performance.
Keep Singing My Song

Rakugaki
Admin

MessageSujet: Re: The American Juniors show. This is how it started for me.   Jeu 14 Aoû - 10:32

All those videos are really interesting. I really want to have a better quality of the group video when they were more than 10.
And it's interesting to heard and see them older. Kids never stay kids forever...

That's sad there's no DVD with the show. Evil or Very Mad

MessageSujet: Re: The American Juniors show. This is how it started for me.   Ven 24 Oct - 4:09

I was taking a quick look at another kid singer forum which is posted in the requests section right now and I found this nice photo of Jordan McCoy. Thanks to Jealyn there for this.

Rakugaki
Admin

MessageSujet: Re: The American Juniors show. This is how it started for me.   Ven 24 Oct - 16:52

You find this on YoungSinger4U ?

MessageSujet: Re: The American Juniors show. This is how it started for me.   Sam 25 Oct - 3:33

Yes, very strange in that I think it is a forum mostly for boy singers. However, the page link that is given for showing how to register has this photo. Smile
kosm1fent

Number of posts : 597
Registration date : 29/04/2008

MessageSujet: Re: The American Juniors show. This is how it started for me.   Lun 27 Oct - 9:39

girlsingerfan a écrit:
Yes, very strange in that I think it is a forum mostly for boy singers. However, the page link that is given for showing how to register has this photo. Smile
Wow, lucky... Razz
Music91

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 30/10/2008

MessageSujet: Re: The American Juniors show. This is how it started for me.   Ven 31 Oct - 22:27

wow, weird! I watched this show too!! and I loved it!! and Danielle was my fav.! I remember we had this thing at school where family and friends watched and I preformed never had a dream come true with backup singers! lol did the same moves as on the show!! lol =P
Thanks for posting the videos!! havent seen them in a long time now!
girlsingerfan

MessageSujet: Re: The American Juniors show. This is how it started for me.   Lun 2 Déc - 5:07

Other than the Kimberly Scott CD I owned, this is where my Girl Singer collection began. In 2003 they had a one year only junior version of American Idol. See the above comments if you are interested. My favorite from the beginning was Danielle White. See Never Had a Dream Come True above. It is my most favorite moment in the whole show. It is the last video of the big group of videos that I posted in the beginning of this page. She got a part in a movie a couple years ago and sings several of the songs on the soundtrack. She is featured in this trailer quite a bit.

The one from American Juniors that had the most success is Lucy Hale, with a main part in the successful t.v. series Pretty Little Liars. Of course, she was barely a kid singer in American Juniors, as she was at the age limit for the show at 14.

IdolTrailblazer

Number of posts : 62
Registration date : 05/03/2014

MessageSujet: Re: The American Juniors show. This is how it started for me.   Ven 7 Mar - 2:29

Wow, just found this thread! I used to love this show too! I remember the episode where Jordan McCoy sang "Magic", the Olivia Newton-John song, and Gladys Knight basically said Jordan's singing was terrible and the song was the wrong song to sing! I couldn't believe she said that! I loved Jordan's singing and the song, so I don't know what bug crawled up Gladys's rear end to make her say that. I liked Lucy Hale too, but when she sang "Call Me", the Blondie song recorded for the movie American Gigolo, I thought somebody had a lapse of good judgement. I didn't think that song was appropriate for a young girl to sing on a family show. I have some of the episodes on VHS too.  Wink 
http://this-is-your-wake-up-call.blogspot.com/
girlsingerfan

MessageSujet: Re: The American Juniors show. This is how it started for me.   Sam 8 Mar - 0:15

So fantastic to find someone else who watched the show originally! Thanks for the post IdolTrailblazer! Does your username have any connection to this show? I could not remember Gladys being that hard on anyone, so I looked it up. She did say that it was the wrong song for Jordan, but she actually did not say she was bad. She said she did her best with a song that was not right for her, but I will agree with you that Jordan did just fine with it and the song was not a bad choice. I posted that performance before, but I see that the link died and so did the one of Stupid Cupid, so I repost different links. The first one includes the judges comments.

girlsingerfan

MessageSujet: Re: The American Juniors show. This is how it started for me.   Sam 8 Mar - 0:20

I also wanted to say I am sorry I missed the comment from Music91 before. I think it is so wonderrul that she used to perform Never Had a Dream Come True and imagined that she was on this show and that her favorite was also Danielle White. I am guessing she was quite young then also.  Very Happy   Are you still out there Music91?
IdolTrailblazer

Number of posts : 62
Registration date : 05/03/2014

MessageSujet: Re: The American Juniors show. This is how it started for me.   Sam 8 Mar - 1:10

IdolTrailblazer is a name I choose to reflect the fact that I was the first to promote certain Japanese idol groups. A lot of people wouldn't even know about them if I hadn't written about them in my blog or created a thread or wiki for them.

Thank you for those links. I guess Gladys wasn't as hard as I remembered, but it seems Jordan was about to cry when she said "That's the wrong song for you." The second clip was in widescreen so I guess someone altered it, because the show was fullscreen I think. Those clips bring back memories!  Smile 
http://this-is-your-wake-up-call.blogspot.com/
Contenu sponsorisé

MessageSujet: Re: The American Juniors show. This is how it started for me.   Aujourd'hui à 11:53

The American Juniors show. This is how it started for me.
Voir le sujet précédent Voir le sujet suivant Revenir en haut 
Page 1 sur 1