~Kids Vocal~ Forum

News about kids singers from all the world !

AccueilAccueil  FAQFAQ  RechercherRechercher  S'enregistrerS'enregistrer  MembresMembres  GroupesGroupes  ConnexionConnexion  

Partagez | 

The album review thread

Voir le sujet précédent Voir le sujet suivant Aller en bas 
AuteurMessage
moorvis

Number of posts : 623
Registration date : 14/03/2008

MessageSujet: The album review thread   Sam 3 Jan - 21:36

I'm starting a thread where everyone can post their reviews of albums they have listened to. I'll start with one that I've liked very much recently.

Viola Uotila - Sateenkaaren aarteet

Viola Uotila is an 11-year old musician from Finland. She has played the kantele since she was 4 four. She also plays the cello and Celtic harp, but kantele in its different forms (5-string, 10-string and concert kantele) is her main instrument. And she of course sings while accompanying herself. Kantele is an old instrument characteristic to Finnish traditional music, and that means that Viola's songs are mostly traditional songs or in similar style.

Viola has previously released two cd's which were recorded when she was 6 to 8 years old. They feature Viola with the smaller and more traditional kanteles, and contained children's songs adn well as folk music. The new album "Sateenkaaren aarteet" (Treasures of the rainbow) is mostly played with a beautiful full-sounding concert kantele. The concert kantele is a fairly recent invention from the 20th century, but it has a very elegant and enchanting sound when Viola plays her mother's (some even her own) arrangements.

Sateenkaaren aarteet starts with maybe the weakest piece on the album, but soon moves on to a lovely recent lullaby from the 1990s, followed by more lullabies or just other very slow dreamily played songs. Starting with the song "Kirje kuulle", the album reaches one of its best moments. "Tuuittele, tuuli purtta" is one of the two songs composed by Viola herself for the album, and she has managed to give it an authentic sounding and brilliant melody that fits excellently to the text from Kanteletar. All the songs on the album are played and sung by Viola simultaneously and in one take from the start to end.

The album's theme is the magical world of dreams, and there is indeed something magical about the kantele's sound. All of the songs are slow lullabies, and sometimes one wishes for a bit faster songs every now and then. Viola's voice is unique and full of character and interpretation. She is mostly well enough in tune, but sometimes we hear some vague notes and sometimes she's a bit loud to be right for a lullaby. It's difficult to rate this album on the usual 5-star scale because it's so different to to most music that I listen to. Some of the minor flaws don't really matter and I can say this is a fine album and a shows her unique musical talent beautifully.
Revenir en haut Aller en bas
Rakugaki
Admin

Number of posts : 2927
Registration date : 16/02/2008

MessageSujet: Re: The album review thread   Sam 3 Jan - 23:41

Nice review, moorvis. Really interesting. Very Happy

And good idea of thread. I will not do albums review here because I still do that on my site, but everone is welcome to post new reviews, of course.

Number of posts : 802
Registration date : 16/06/2008

MessageSujet: Re: The album review thread   Dim 4 Jan - 9:21

Oh I hope I can do some too even I am not as professional in my reviews as you moorvis I am afraid it will be mostly my points of view.

But can I pick any childsinger CD no matter how old it is, or only the latest I listened?

Moorvis, do you understand Finish, since I have seen you writing Danish on youtube?

MessageSujet: Re: The album review thread   Dim 4 Jan - 9:55

Yes, you can review any album you want, new or old! I just hope that the reviews would be as good as possible, so maybe it's not good to post quick reviews of albums that you have listened only once.

Yes, I understand Finnish. I don't think I've written Danish, I mostly comment in English, Finnish or sometimes Swedish.
Caroline

MessageSujet: Re: The album review thread   Dim 4 Jan - 11:35

Ohhh sorry I ment Swedish Laughing How could I write Danish Laughing

Yes, of course Wink

MessageSujet: Re: The album review thread   Lun 28 Déc - 20:56

Prelude to a Dream is the debut album from Jackie Evancho. She is only 9 years old, but has a gift of singing and exceptional understanding of music that is decades ahead of her age.

The album starts with songs in popular music style, and Jackie's interpretation in them seems careful compared to live ones in them. Starry starry night is one of the exceptions, she makes us hear her sympathy for the subject.

Another highlight is To Where You Are, a new song acquintance that was introduced to me by Jackie. She sings it with her trademark excellent pitch and technique, which makes the beautiful melody even more enjoyable.

Towards the end, the album changes to more classical sound. Thru the ethereal Schubert's Ave Maria, we move to the famous rendition of O Mio Babbino Caro. What I like the most about it, is that Jackie sings it with clear articulation - unlike some actually famous singers, who sing it with almost screaming voice, with a lot less room for emotion.

The album is not a million dollar production, which is common and understandable for self-published albums. Orchestra backgounds are sometimes obviously synthetic, but there's nothing distracting or annoying in them. I've certainly heard a lot worse productions. All in all, Jackie's singing cannot be described as anything else than beautiful, and it makes Prelude to a Dream rank very high among my collection of child singer albums.

http://www.jackieevancho.com/
Caroline

MessageSujet: Re: The album review thread   Mar 29 Déc - 0:32

That sounds so professional moorvis! My reviews will sound so bad next to them, but I'll post some tomorrow anyway.
I am sorry I forgot about this thread.
http://celine-helgemo.piczo.com
girlsingerfan

Number of posts : 3048

MessageSujet: Re: The album review thread   Mar 29 Déc - 5:17

This looks like it will be a good thread. I don't have much more time, but I will try to come up with one or two this week sometime. I would have done Jackie's CD, if you had not beat me to it Moorvis. Mad Sad
http://youtube.com/user/girlsingerfan
Caroline

MessageSujet: Re: The album review thread   Mar 29 Déc - 14:49

CELINE HELGEMO
“Bæstevænna” Nice
I’d rank Celine’s first album to 3/6 or by Rakugaki’s rating it’s ok. On one hand it has two very good songs “Bæstevænna” and “Alein” while on the other hand songs like “123” and especially “Vær den du e” are what I would call very bad. What also counts as a plus though, is her voice, she surely can sing and I like to listen it. I think the reason why I do not like this album as much as I expected to do when it came out is that it was rushed, for example the song “Hjem te Trondheim” where she sings about how much fun it is to go on holiday and travel, but that the best of all is to return home to TRONDHEIM, and she doesn’t even live in Trondheim! Not a very important point, but it was the best example I could come up with to describe that the lyrics seem rushed and have little meaning, just written to fill up the song. And both “Livet e hærlig” and “Vi sees igjen” were melodies that already existed. More effort and time would have made it better I am sure, and I do not think it would have affected the amazing sale success it had.

"Jul på Røros" Cool
Celine’s second album would be a 4/6 I think, though very close to 5. I was very pleasantly surprised when I bought this album; I actually doubted if it was worth buying it at all, but Malin Reitan is on it so I had to. I think Celine picked a nice bunch of existing Christmas songs. Some slow, some up-tempo, some Norwegian and some English; a nice variation. The original songs are better this time too. “Jul på Røros” has a nice calm melody that I like very much and the lyrics are beautiful in that they combine Celine’s own very personal experience of Christmas, plus a lot that everyone can relate too. “Silkebånd og røde hjerta” is very fitting to Celine’s age as it goes about your first heartache. While it still keeps to the Christmas theme. I think Christmas songs like “Last Christmas” kind of dosen’t deserve to be a Christmas hit only because he repeats the word so many times. Minus points are mainly “Æ tru på julenissen”. A 13 year old girl yelling over and over again “I BELIEVE IN SANTA CLAUS” isn’t very appealing to me.

More to come! Smile

Admin

Number of posts : 2927

MessageSujet: Re: The album review thread   Mar 29 Déc - 16:00

It seems you're not very fan of Celine's songs. Razz

MessageSujet: Re: The album review thread   Jeu 31 Déc - 15:47

No, no, no I really love some of them Wink

MessageSujet: Re: The album review thread   Aujourd'hui à 14:22